OVERHEARD AT CARVERS CAFÉ
"I enjoyed two platefuls of dessert!"
FYI: That's enough dessert to fill your plate twice.*
Rule: A noun that ends with the suffix -ful forms the plural by adding an s. The question is, Where do you place the s?
Note: Or means you can spell it either way. Also means the first spelling is preferred.
• bucketful: bucketfuls or bucketsful
• cupful: cupfuls (also cupsful)
• forkful: forkfuls or forksful
• handful: handfuls (also handsful)
• teaspoonful: teaspoonfuls (also teaspoonsful)
• plateful: platefuls (also platesful)
*Compare with a plural word + full:
• I see two plates full of delicious-looking cake. I'll have one forkful of carrot cake and two forkfuls of chocolate cake.